Wednesday 13 February 2013

Toddlers & Tiaras



Image copyright of: http://womenology.ogilvypr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/toddlers-tiaras.jpg


So recently, I have found an odd addiction of watching a programme on DMAX called Toddlers and Tiaras, it’s based in the USA. I have no idea why I have started to watch it nor if I like it, I find it strange that it fascinates me. It maybe the differences that USA has to the UK which is why I find it strange so please do not take offence, each to their own and all but it’s not something I would do.

 These kids are dressed up like dolls, with fake eyelashes, tans and even fake teeth to look “pretty”. The ages range from baby (I would say 6 months) to teenagers, they are pretty naturally but putting them in these strange outfits with all the makeup they seem too old for their age. They are taught routines of how to pout, blow kisses and “shake their bootie” at the judges, who judge their outfits and how they look! I may be wrong but I find that this will just lead to children growing up too fast and worrying about how they look when they have no need too. To be honest, the costumes are not to my flavour either, bright colours with lots of jewels that it reminds me of something of my fat gypsy wedding!

The kids on the show seem to love it but others don’t seem fussed, neither would I with what they have to go through! Getting their eyebrows wax (crying about it), fake tans which make them squeal and then dressed up/down several times like a Barbie doll. It’s very rare you see the child be nice to their mothers as well, they scream, kick and hit until they get what they want – basically like a spoilt brat with an attitude of someone twice their age.

 Another thing I have noticed, how do they afford it? One mother mentioned they spent over $50,000 on their first year for the pageant and they can only win something like $1000. The dresses alone cost about a $1000 unless you rent it, that is also probably the cheaper range of dress but on top of that the kids have manicures, spray tans and fake something on them!

 I haven’t just watched on episode, I have watched a few and see the different ranges of people who do this and it amazes me that someone can put a child who does not want to do it through the pain of it all. If your child wants to do this – go ahead but I would not recommend it. I would not want my child to grow up with insecurities that they will get when they turn into a teenager anyway except it won’t start at the age of 5 and who do you think will have a harder time? Why dress your child up to “enhance” their beauty when we should be setting the example that they are beautiful already. I just hope that these kids don’t form something more serious like over plastic surgery use to be beautiful/perfect or anorexia!

 This is just my opinion, other people may share my views but this is mine and mine alone.

 Out for now

1 comment:

  1. Well said Natty! I have still only watched one of these shows, the girls ont he show I watched absolutely loved the attention and luckily I didn#t see any waxing phew!

    ReplyDelete