Friday 11 October 2013

Death

Death will affect everyone at some point in their lives, some earlier than others and then some not until they are adults (which makes them very lucky). This isn't a topic I ever thought I would blog about, however recently my partner has experienced 2 deaths within weeks of each other. The first being his Great Aunt (I believe) whom he didn't know very well but it lead to him seeing his Little Grandma's grave (which is his Great Grandma) - tears follow him when he thinks of her. Then last night he spoke to me about a family friend, I think it's his Godmothers Dad who had some sort of brain problem (whether it was cancer or something else - he's not sure). He was rather upset but he has not experienced a lot of death and is sensitive to it.

Myself I have experienced at least 7 if not more, which is not a lot but it started when I was about 6. When you are that age, you cry. My family is what I call an old family, my parents are not in their late 40's, my father is 70 next year and my mother is 61 next year. I am 26 so those ages (especially my Father) normally are grandparent age (which they are and have been since I was 2). My Grandparents are all dead, I am not upset anymore about them being gone as most was when I was a child. My Grandad (who did not like me) died when I was in my first year of uni and pregnant with my first child - he was the last death I experienced and although it was sad I cried for the lost of all my grandparents. I have even have suffered the lost of an Aunt (not great).

The problem with having an old family is that everyone thinks its a great grandparent or other great relative. I understand that death is difficult for everyone but I am not sad for those I no longer have, that is not what they want. They want you to be happy and live your life. Be happy for those who are still here and the family you have. I try to do that every day but I live in fear of who it will be next, when you have no grandparents or great aunties/uncles - it can only be those who are closer. Sad but true

No comments:

Post a Comment